Holly Williams is a repertory actor at The Barter Theatre in Abingdon, Virginia. I really wanted to see something at The Barter while I was still in this area (East Tennessee), and I approached her about doing an interview, and she could not have been nicer. She got me into 2 shows, we had a terrific interview about the busy (and artistically fulfilling) life of the rep actor, and I got the super deluxe tour of the facility.
I was so impressed with the well-oiled machine at the Barter. They were switching out the set for the evening show when we were talking in the dressing room. They also have 2 shows going on in the Stage II space (their smaller space), and they are simultaneously rehearsing for the next shows which will go up. The scheduling people must be geniuses! Right now at the Barter you could see 4 different shows… Man of LaMancha, I Do I Do I Do, Don’t Cry for Me, Margaret Mitchell, and The Dryad: An Appalachian Tale. Something for everyone!
And Holly was terrific. She had a lead role in I Do I Do I Do and a supporting role in Man of LaMancha. And she’s also in the midst of rehearsing for her next cool role as Rita in Educating Rita. Go check out The Barter if you’re in the area!
Topics covered in the interview:
- Intro (0:00)
- Not Hank Williams Granddaughter (4:30)
- Can you actually barter to get admission to the theatre? (8:25)
- The shows I saw, Holly’s busy schedule, life of a repertory actor (10:15)
- Holly’s good luck charm, writing a lyric on her fingers (17:15)
- How Holly got the gig with The Barter (19:30)
- Versatility required, non-traditional casting (23:40)
- How Holly got the acting, storytelling bug (25:38)
- Wall of fame … Barter Alumni (37:32)
- More about The Barter administrative and creative staff (38:37)
- “Bizarre, Interesting or Horrible Audition Stories” (47:25)
As usual my buddy Sal Clemente (of Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra) who wrote the podcast theme song, “Here We Go Again,” plays us out. URO has a concert coming up. Click the link to find out more!Share this on Facebook or Twitter.