Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:16:12 — 69.8MB)
Joe Jung and Jessi Blue Gormezano are a talented and adorable theater couple. I was first introduced to their work with a production of the dark comedy, The Secretaries, produced by their NYC company, Project Theater.
And then when a production of my play Home of the Great Pecan was done at The Drilling Company, we were lucky enough to get Jessi in the lead for that fun Texas romp.
In 2009 they formed a site specific theater experience which has been going strong ever since called Our Bar, which is set – surprise! – in a bar. It’s a great NYC experience where the audience feels like it’s literally in the middle of the show – and can drink and eat at the same time! And there always seems to be live music afterwards often performed by the jug band, The Saltcracker Crazies. So the party goes on well after the show!
Please enjoy my time with the very entertaining, Jessi and Joe. And don’t miss Our Bar which is the first Wednesday of every month; the next show is called Stuck, and it’s on May 7th, 2014.
Topics covered in the interview:
- Intro (0:00)
- Hello Jessi and Joe! The beginnings of Project: Theater (3:11)
- Backing up in time, how the stars aligned and these kids met (8:43)
- How I was introduced to Jessi and Joe during the run of The Secretaries by the Five Lesbian Brothers (15:04)
- My Custom Van by Michael Ian Black (20:40)
- Joe gets a great job in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (23:46)
- The OurBarNYC experience, the jug band origin (31:50)
- Jessi Blue in Home of the Great Pecan (45:25)
- Jessi Blue, the writer emerges, Mark My Words (48:42)
- Joe has very specific news on upcoming projects (50:15)
- How to start a theater company (53:08)
- “Bizarre, Interesting or Horrible Audition Stories” – Joe’s first (56:26)
- Jessi’s audition story (1:08:21)
As usual my buddy Sal Clemente (of Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra) who wrote the podcast theme song, “Here We Go Again,” plays us out. URO has a concert coming up. Click the link to find out more!