This is part 2 of my talk with my good buddy, actor/writer, Erik Van Wyck. In this interview Erik lets it all hang out in his assessment of Los Angeles, the good, the bad, and the ugly — why it can be intoxicating and also soul sucking to pursue the favored industry of the town.
Erik talks a bit about a movie he helped produce (and acted in) called Expecting (which you can watch now on demand) with Radha Mitchell and Michelle Monaghan.
He also talks about traveling the world as the host of the reality show Getting Abroad which was on for a season on the now defunct The Mojo Network. The show explored mating and dating rituals around the world, and basically Erik traveled to a country, and he and a local wing man went around and tried to pick up women. He started each show by sampling an (often disgusting) local aphrodisiac.
Erik also offers up some embarrassing and/or bizarre audition stories.
Topics covered in the interview:
- My introduction (0:00)
- What drew Erik to Los Angeles (4:58)
- Ryan Reynolds gets Blade Trinity (7:58)
- Douchebag is born in the movie Expecting (8:41)
- The reality tv show Getting Abroad goes abroad (12:33)
- Disgusting aphrodisiacs of the world (15:45)
- How to get lucky in Iceland (23:50)
- Interrogated by Stana Katic and the pilot Drived (29:19)
- Embarrassing audition story, hiding crotch with script (39:48)
- Big bad casting director story (47:48)
- Casting couch – keys to the apartment (54:18)
- The management company, “Welcome to Hollywood” (58:25)
- Being killed with kindness in LA — “Hope is fuel.” (100:35)
- Seduced and Abandoned and The Hurt Locker party (104:58)
As usual my buddy Sal Clemente (of Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra) who wrote the podcast theme song, “Here We Go Again,” plays us out.