Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 31:52 — 29.2MB)
My good friends Brad and Melissa Coolidge helped me transition to Austin. That’s the kind of lovely, awesome folks they are!
And they also happen to make thoughtful, exciting independent movies.
In part one of this two part interview I talk to Brad about the movies he and his wife have been producing or co-executive producing (along with their partner, Todd Labarowski). These include, What Maisie Knew (with Julianne Moore, Alexander Skarsgård and Steve Coogan – inspired by a Henry James novel), Prince Avalanche (directed by Austin filmmaker David Gordon Green and starring Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch, Joe (with Nicholas Cage and again directed by David Gordon Green), The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him AND Her (which can now be seen as intended in the big markets like New York — and a combined version “Them” is playing in some smaller markets), Manglehorn, (with Al Pacino, Holly Hunter, Chris Messina, directed by David Gordon Green) and The World Made Straight (with Noah Wiley, Minka Kelly, Haley Joel Osment, and Jeremy Irvine). These last 2 films have not yet been released.
In part 2 of the interview we’ll talk about Brad’s experiences directing a “creature feature” horror film. So keep an eye out for part 2 coming soon.
If you’re in New York or other select cities go see The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him/Her. Click here for tickets in New York.
Topics covered in the interview:
- Hello to Brad, an introduction (3:51)
- Death of a Popstar a short film, Glasgow Film Festival (5:19)
- What Maisie Knew, co-producers (8:05)
- The move to Austin, Prince Avalanche (10:17)
- The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him AND Her, shooting in NYC, Dreambridge (14:25)
- Joe, Nicholas Cage comes down early to Austin to prepare (21:45)
- The World Made Straight (24:45)
- Manglehorn, shot in Austin (27:35)